California Autos Examiner

Thursday, January 12, 2006

VW Giving Gifts?

Left Lane News is reporting that VW is giving out airline vouchers to disgruntled Touareg owners. The tip seems to have come from a reader, so it’s hard to verify.

[UPDATE: Okay, I found the vwvortex thread. They have a scan of the letter, so it looks pretty legit. ]

I do know that some friends of mine had such troubles with their Touareg that they had VW pay one month’s lease payment since they had lost use of the SUV for about a month’s time. You don’t have to look far to find unhappy people. Over at Autoblog an article about the Eos was overtaken by reader comments of trim pieces falling off, seat fires (this happened to my sister-in-law’s Jetta), and steering column fires. Let’s not forget the coil pack debacle of a few years ago. Of course you can make the statement that unhappy people complain 10 times louder than satisfied customers praise, but I think VW certainly has some major quality control issues. If I were buying a VW today, I’d make sure that the service department was up to muster before plunking down my cash. [update: my friends just checked in with an update on their Touareg : "I am surprised I have not received airlines tickets already…Recently, I needed to change the stepper (rear – differential) for the second time."]

No comments: