California Autos Examiner

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Volkswagen Jetta "Like" Commercial

So I was like watching the Jetta commercial where they, like, crash into a pickup and I was like whoa, "what's with the screeching noise?" 'cause like even the Jetta value edition has like ABS, so the brakes wouldn't lock up and there wouldn't be like all that screeching. Then I saw that they were bragging about the Jetta's four star frontal crash test ratings and I was like isn't the best score five stars? So isn't that like bragging that you got a "B"? So I tried to look up the Jetta's score at safecar.gov and the site was like so slow that I couldn't stand it, so I like went to motortrend.com to make sure that I was right about the four stars thing and I like was totally right. So then I went to the Jetta's safety page on vw.com to make sure about the ABS bit, but they didn't talk about ABS on the safety page and I was like huh, that's weird. But, like I did see that the Jetta had, like, the best score ever score in a side-impact crash test performed by the IIHS. Further down on the page I saw that they referred to Len Hunt as being executive vice president of Volkswagen of America, Inc., and I was like he doesn't even work there anymore but I guess they didn't want to redo the video he hosted.

Does the shock value work? Well, it does have people writing articles. However the readers over at Jalopnik were in general less than totally upbeat on the commercial. I got a jolt the first time I watched it, but I was left puzzled about the bragging rights on the frontal score. Why not do a side impact commercial and brag about the five star rating the Jetta has?

No comments: