California Autos Examiner

Friday, October 12, 2007

Yoink! X-type Departs USA


So long! That's what Jaguar dealers are beginning to say to the entry model in the Jaguar's US lineup. Derided as being a tarted up Mondeo, the X never gained traction here in the USA. Jaguar will stop making US spec models in December when the factory switches over to the slightly revised model. That's really too bad. I own a 2005 wagon and I have found it to have decent handling, nice interior appointments and only one persistent electrical gremlin that was finally exorcised by the dealership.

I've always been a fan of the X-Type. I thought the looks were right on for a baby Jag. Certainly the first examples to arrive here in the USA were trouble. They were massively over priced and still had a lot of quality issues. However, over time Jaguar ministered to its baby and she became a very capable entry. However, many folks' minds were already made up. Impressions based upon the first examples and their opinions could not be changed.


Certainly the X isn't perfect. She sucks gas, she could use more power and never received features such as dual climate control. That shouldn't discourage you should you seek to buy a late example. Depreciation is fierce so you'd be best to find a slightly used model, but I wouldn't look disapprovingly at you if you bought a new copy just as long as you managed to rake off a few quid.

It's not as if there aren't other, some superior, entries in the field. But for me the Jag is a nice contrarian approach to hauling cargo. I will miss her on the dealer's lots, but my copy has quite a few miles to go so I'm happy I got in when I did.

For those of you who are wagon fanatics, there is the forthcoming CTS wagon (which I presume is going to be marketed here) and I think that it will be a great entry. Of course you could get a SortCombi from Saab an equally eclectic choice. I'm not disrespecting the BMW, Volvo or Audi wagons but they have never captured my fancy.

No comments: