California Autos Examiner

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

2009 Ford F-150 To Feature Hydraulic Launch Assist?



In my previous article on the 2009 F-150, I had wondered where all the gee-whiz stuff was. Well, one thing that hadn't occurred to me at the time was hydraulic launch assist (HLA). Now that it was been brought to my attention, I remember that the Mighty F-350 Tonka Concept did feature HLA. I also recall that Ford along with supplier Eaton was working the the EPA on HLA. Hmmm.

For those who need a refresh on HLA, I'll quote Wikipedia:


The HLA system recycles energy by converting kinetic energy into potential energy during deceleration via hydraulics, storing the energy at high pressure in a Nitrogen gas filled accumulator. The energy is then returned to the vehicle during subsequent acceleration thereby reducing the amount of work done by the internal combustion engine. This system provides considerable increase in vehicle productivity while reducing fuel consumption in stop-and-go use profiles like refuse vehicles and other heavy duty vehicles.[2]

I'm not clear on whether HLA will debut with the 2009 F-150 or if it will be delayed for a year. Whenever it does arrive, however, it should provide a very nice boost for city mileage.

source: ???

No comments: