California Autos Examiner

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wink and a Nudge: Chevrolet MPV-7

At the blogger dinner hosted by GM this evening I was able to chat up some Chevrolet representatives about the Global Delta MPV-7 program. Now, I can't say that I got any official confirmation about a domestic Chevrolet variant, but the knowing glances that I saw certainly denied nothing.

What we are talking about here is a product scheduled for manufacture at GM's assembly plant in Hamtramck, Mich. The first details were leaked via a UAW document and later dismissed by some as an export only product. However, the latest word is that the Opel Zafira-like van would slot beneath the forthcoming Chevrolet Traverse crossover. According to Automotive News, GM believes the MPV-7 can generate U.S. sales of 100,000 units annually.

Now, some of you might be wondering how the conversation went. Well, I can't give you a word for word transcript, but I can reenact the conversation as a Monty Python sketch:

ACATT: 'Evening, squire!

Chevrolet Rep: Good evening.

ACATT:Is, uh,... Is your MPV-7 a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?

Chevrolet Rep:I, uh, I beg your pardon?

ACATT: Your, uh, your Global Delta Platform MPV-7, does she go, eh, does she go, eh?

Chevrolet Rep: (flustered)Well, she sometimes 'goes', yes.

ACATT: Aaaaaaaah bet she does, I bet she does, say no more, say no more, know whatahmean, nudge nudge?

Chevrolet Rep: (confused)I'm afraid I don't quite follow you.

ACATT: Follow me. Follow me. That's good, that's good! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Chevrolet Rep:Are you, uh,... are you selling something?

ACATT: SELLING! Very good, very good! Ay? Ay? Ay?(pause)Oooh! Ya wicked Ay! Wicked Ay! Oooh hooh! Say No MORE!

Chevrolet Rep:Well, I, uh....

ACATT :Is, your uh, is your MPV-7 a sport, ay, domestically speaking?

Chevrolet Rep: Um, she likes sport, yes!

ACATT: I bet she does, I bet she does!

Chevrolet Rep: Look... are you insinuating something?

ACATT: Oh, no, no, no... yes.

Chevrolet Rep:Well?

ACATT: Well, you're a corporation of the world, squire.

Chevrolet Rep: Yes...

ACATT: So might you be selling the MPV-7 here in the states? A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

Chevrolet Rep: No comment

There you have it, a completely non-factual transcript of what really didn't exactly happen.

No comments: