California Autos Examiner

Monday, May 12, 2008

Acura TSX Commercial: Let The Drummer Kick


Okay, first things first. The song is not "Drama Kid" but rather "Let the Drummer Kick" by Citizen Cope. Don't feel silly as I heard the former as well. You learn something every day.


What about the commercial itself? I'll say this, the people in the commercial are far more attractive than the car and I think that's the trouble. Acura believe strongly in its new shield grille, but with the refreshed RL and the all new TSX, I'm simply not sold on the formula.

As for the car? I think it will sell just fine. Folks are drawn to the simple formula that the TSX provides: nearly all the goodies are standard and it's wrapped in a tidy Euro-styled package. It's a comparison list kind of car. You take the features offered by the TSX and compare them to those offered by the similarly priced competition. The logical conclusion is reached that you are getting value for money and Japanese quality. You make the purchase of the TSX.


It all sounds good, but there is no sizzle is there? Undoubtedly that's what Acura is trying to rebel against in the commercial. However, the TSX is rarely going to be the car of the "start a company, sell it, start another company" crowd. Rather, those kind of folks are going to lease a car that costs 3x as much and drive it around to impress friends and clients: "Hey look at how well I think I'm doing." These are also the same folks that pass me and my small 18 foot boat with a giant 1400hp monster, music blaring, engines that sounding better than any car I'll own and bikini models on board and NO I'm not jealous. Okay, maybe I am a bit envious, but not of the bikini models (this sentence has been added to protect my marriage).

Where was I? Oh yeah. Acura and the TSX commercial. The bottom line is that "Let the Drummer Kick" portrays the TSX in a way that it will rarely, if ever exist. Will that drive potential buyers to showrooms? Probably not. Logical people and their Tivos zip right past the commercials.





8 comments:

Katie-Kate said...

Thank you for this post. I agree whole heartedly with you. Thanks for clearing that whole thing up about the drama kid. I too was fooled.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for clearing up about that commercial music - best part of the advert if you ask me. And yes, the drama kid fooled me too.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the most obnoxious commercials I ever heard. No wonder there is such confusion over the words to that monotonous drivel in the background!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment just above mine ...it's the most obnoxious commercial. It screams "L.A." and everyone is too pretty. I suppose you can do what you want when you can cast hot people for a commercial and portray that's the demographic and type of people that are buying the car and living the lifestyle ...it's like buy this Acura and you'll be living like this!

I think the song is annoying too, but I am glad it was cleared up as I also thought it was "Drama Kid". I Googled "Acura Drama Kid" and ended up here so thanks for the clarification!

Unknown said...

Weird request, does anyone know where i can download the commercial?

Michael Sheena said...

Clay,

I've added a YouTube video of the commercial to this post. If you download Real Player, then you should be able to download the video after you've clicked on play (a pretty handy feature I use all the time).

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for clearing up the misheard lyrics. I found you through google as well. I agree with the posters who labeled the music obnoxious monotonous drivel, as well as those who said it was the best part of the ad. Yeah, it's an okay car, but nothing special. As an exclusive Acura driver since 1986 (can it really be almost 23 years since I bought one of the first off the assembly line?) I really think Acura has its head up its **s. No 2 door sports coupe, pocket rocket, convertible, or hybrid. Boring or atrocious color choices. I have been so happy with my Acuras, as has my mom, but I will be replacing mine in the next year or so and will be looking at Lexus and Mitsubishi for something fun and flashy.

Anonymous said...

This commercial is about 8 years behind it's time. S"tart a company...sell it and start another." That is sooooooo 2001 and no one from the heyday of the dot-com bubble or bust will ever look back on those times and laugh, nor feel like they have to drive an Acura TSX. Seriously Japan, so yesterday as is the design of your car. It looks like an fugly Hyundai from the time with an even worse grill.