California Autos Examiner

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Volvo S60 Concept








Whereas the production XC60 looks awkward from many angles, this concept S60 is very attractive. The production version of this car should look pretty similar, minus some of the crazy interior gizmos. I have lamented that while I really like the XC60 collision prevention technology, I'm held back by the styling. No such worries with this concept, but of course, I'll wait for the production version before making any final judgments.

My only worry (and this applies to all Volvos) is the dealer body and the less than stellar reliability record that Volvos have compiled with my friends. I have been less than impressed with Volvo dealers in my area, having a left several showrooms in disgust at the way I was being treated. I have also seen my friends continually trekking back to the service department to fix minor issues that keep reoccurring. In my youth (late twenties, early thirties) I was much more amendable to this sort of annoyance as a I price I paid to own a somewhat unique car. However, after years of Saab, Land Rover and Jaguar ownership, I’ve just about had it. I am no longer willing to accept the hassle that comes with owning cars that can’t keep it all together. I’m tired of trim pieces falling off, warning lights glowing, water pumps failing at 20,000 miles, electric windows coming off their track, rattles emanating from all corners, etc. Now I just want to buy cars that aren’t going to give me any trouble and if that means that I end up driving more vanilla vehicles, then that is a price that must be paid. I’m just not sure that Volvo has a strong enough reliability record to get me back behind the wheel, but styling cars like this is a great way to start!

No comments: