California Autos Examiner

Monday, January 05, 2009

Scion Broadband


Part of Scion's "secret sauce" has been its focus on reaching out to its desired demographic in new and different ways. One such component is Scion Broadband AKA Scion bB. After receiving a press release about "Hot Guests And Fresh New Music Stations," I clicked on over to the site to check it out. My first visit was cut short when Scion bB killed my browser and all of its tabs, but I returned with Firefox and things went smoother.

I found the site to be a bit jumbled and not all that clear to navigate, but I suppose that is partly intentional. You can judge for yourself by clicking here. Does Scion's urban marketing work? I'm a bit dubious about that. It's a well known fact that Scion's ideal customer doesn't like to be marketed to and the second that they sniff out your true in intentions, they may run for the exit. I've always felt that Scion's strongest points included its value pricing and extensive customization. Certainly the xB has been the brand's standard bearer, although the 2.0 version became bloated and more commercialized than it should have.

At the end of the day, Scion wants to attract car buyers, just like everybody else. I'm just not sure that having a couple of DJs on staff is really going to cut through the clutter.

No comments: