Photo of Winnie Hogg Dodge courtesy of flickr user hugo90
Today, June 9, is the final day that 789 Chrysler dealers who received termination notices can sell new cars while displaying the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep shingle and offering factory incentives.
For many operations, it has been a brutal few weeks. First there was the initial shock of receiving the notice and then the onslaught of customers expecting to find cars for offered for half off the sticker price.
This isn't the end for all 789 dealerships. Some dealers will continue on as used car lots with service centers, others will offer car brokerage services, some dealers will juggle their remaining franchises to make use of the newly freed up space, some owners will cash in their chips and walk away from the auto business and finally a few will hang on for a few more days to see what the Supreme Court has to say about all of this.
Here in the Bay Area, five active dealerships received notices:
- PENINSULA DODGE in Redwood City (they were already closed well before notices were sent)
- BOARDWALK CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH JEEP (Redwood City)
- BAY BRIDGE CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE (Oakland)
- LIVERMORE CHRYSLER JEEP
- BURLINGAME CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE
- SERRAMONTE CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE (Colma)