California Autos Examiner

Monday, December 14, 2009

Acura's problem: How to get people out of the ZDX


2010 Acura ZDX (source: msheena)

Acura has a real problem on its hands with the 2010 Acura ZDX: People will not get out of the car.

While attending the media days at the Los Angeles Auto Show, it was nearly impossible to get inside the ZDX. This was the same experience I had when I attended the San Francisco show.

View a slideshow of the 2010 Acura ZDX from the auto show floor in this linked gallery.

I will admit to being a bit unkind towards the ZDX in the past, and I am still put off a bit by the front of the car, but I have to say that the design is growing on me. In particular, when I view the ZDX from the rear, the curviness of its haunches is much more pronounced than in pictures, yielding a very muscular look. I banged my head on entry into the rear seat, which certainly demonstrates that style took precidence over function when it comes to extra passengers. Compare the raked roofline of the ZDX to that of the Porsche Panamera where a concerted effort was made to preserve rear seat headroom. The Acura ZDX is aimed at empty nesters or younger couples who do not have children, which explains the emphasis on the front seats and the apparent paralysis that people experience when they sit down and refuse to get out. I spoke with Acura representative Jessica Fini about this phenomena and she said that ZDX had been extremely popular with both the press and designers from the competition.

I have seen this happen before, most recently with the Hyundai Genesis, where people are so captivated by the vehicle that they seem to lose track of the fact that other people are waiting for their own turn.

The ZDX goes on-sale at an Acura dealership near you on December 15 with a manufacturers suggested retail price starting at $45,495, plus a destination and handling charge of $810. Check out the ZDX video montage that Jeff from Temple of VTEC put together in the clip embedded below.





Subscribe to receive alerts when the author submits a new article, follow the author on twitter or contact via e-mail!

No comments: