California Autos Examiner

Friday, November 04, 2005

Back off?


Dr. Brian Clifford has invented a clever little device that you can stick on the back of your car. The plate has the numbers 7, 5, and 3 in decreasing font sizes. If you're traveling at 70mph and can read the 7 then you're too close, etc, etc. Now, the problem that I see with this is that most tailgaters aren't the conscientious sort. These folks know they are too close and they want to be so that you'll get the message and let them get past. This enables them to cause an accident several miles down the road and induce all sorts of road rage. Type A personalities aren't going to say, "Oh my, I can read the seven, perhaps I should adjust my following distance." No, they are probably going to try and read the 3 while going 90.

Originally found this in Autoweek magazine, but you can read about it here.

No comments: