California Autos Examiner

Monday, October 08, 2007

BMW Dealer to Lessee: No Soup For You


Consumerist has a shining example of customer service by the folks at Brecht BMW. Apparently the woman was told that she could not turn in her leased BMW to the dealership even though technically she should have been able to. However the case is somewhat murky. Firstly, she was told by Chase that she could return the car to any authorized dealership. However, it seems from the story that she never called the dealership in advance before making the 45 mile trip to the showroom. I don't know about you, but whenever I return a lease I call at least several times to confirm that I have all the details right. I like to get a name and setup an appointment. It's an important transaction and I want to make sure it goes smoothly. Also, unlike the letter writer, I don't wait until the absolute last day to return a car for the very reason that she experienced: some sort of trouble with the return.

Given all that, however, it still seems like the dealership responded in an inappropriate manner:


Next the manager came out and said, you need to leave or I am going to call the police. I asked for his name. He took out his business card and threw it at me. I said that I had better treatment from VW when I owned my BMW. He told me to go back to VW, because 'I don't deserve to own a BMW.' He again said to leave or he was going to call the police. By this time my children were in tears because he was yelling at me and threatening me. We left without them ever assisting us.



We weren't there, we don't know what she was saying to them or how she was acting. However, customer service should still take the high road. Something that apparently failed in this case.


Full article here.

No comments: