California Autos Examiner

Monday, April 27, 2009

Okay Folks, Just Because GM Is Having Problems Does Not Mean You Can Get a Malibu For Free

Ah, the opportunistic consumer. God bless 'em! In today's example, we have a writer who tries to "score" with a Chevrolet dealer and get an outstanding deal on a Malibu. Well, big surprise they were not able to get 50% off (slight exaggeration).

While the salesperson in the story could probably use a brush up on his skills, I think it's important to note that while all dealers are suffering, they have adjusted their stock of cars to reflect this. You can only club a seal so many times, folks.

I can't even count how many people have approached me to ask how great a deal they might be able to get on a GM car. While it is true that deals abound in the market, it has not been my experience that GM dealers are giving away cars. If that were the case, I'd be driving a Pontiac Solstice.

I'm not defending dealer's actions. I know that there are a lot of nut jobs out there. However, the attitude that consumers carry into dealerships can also leave a lot to be desired. Folks need to keep in mind that new car sales aren't that profitable to begin with. Certainly customers should expect a professional environment, but if things don't go as they had envisioned, they shouldn't flip over the table and demand their discount. Just walk out and find another dealer.

As the writer realizes in the end, it's much easier to go online for pricing once you've whittled down your choices. I usually blanket 10 or so dealers with a request for a specific model and usually find that one or two are willing to make a deal. It saves me time and aggravation and I am better able to get the car I want for the price I want. I've purchased many and friend and family members car this way.

No comments: