California Autos Examiner

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lexus LF-Xh Concept






Okay, I'll admit that I'm confused a bit. The pictures above seem to portray the next RX from Lexus. However, the previous LF-X AKA HPX (last picture above) concept seemed to presage the GS based JX that is slated to compete with the likes of Infiniti's FX.
Speaking of the Infiniti FX, I found this tidbit over at GM Inside News forum:

I got invited to a market research study and it turned out it was to evaluate a concept FX. I had to compare it against the new Acura MDX, BMW X5, Lexus RX, and Mercedes ML. The side profile is pretty much the same with the addition of vents in front of the front wheels. The back is evolutionary with nice curves and lines. It is a nice step forward. As to the front, I remain somewhat speechless. Where-as the current FX has a tall front grill, the front of this car appeared much thinner. It was almost like the front of a sports car had been stuck onto the FX. The front was the biggest change and I'm not sold on it yet. However, compared to the other cars, I'd still pick the FX.

The FX37 gets bumped up to 300 horsepower. The FX50 comes with 390 horsepower and 369 lb.ft of torque. This sold me more than anything. I would guess that if the weight doesn't change that much, this thing must be quick.

The interior was nice. The steering wheel was hot with really cool looking paddle shifters. The look of it and the instrument panel reminded me a bit of the Acura MDX. The center console was much like the M.

They showed some technology on a laptop demo:

1) Slow moving traffic cruise control. The car can slow down and speed up based on the car in front of you.

2) The mirrors would move if you moved the seat. So I guess if you're on a long drive and occasionaly change your seat position, the mirrors would auto adjust with you.

3) This was the coolest. It was the rear-view camera taken to the next level. There were cameras in front of the car and behind it. On your Nav screen, it would show an outline of the car (as if looking down from the sky) and would paste the images around the car, so you'd have an almost 360 degree view of what was around you.

Interesting stuff.

Back to the Lexus...Let's go with the RX analogy for now. Word is that the next RX may grow to accommodate an (optional?) third row. This LF-Xh sure doesn't seem to offer room for that third row. Given that the RX has been so successful for Lexus, it's doubtful that they will mess with the recipe too much, but I could see it picking up a lot from this concept.






No comments: