California Autos Examiner

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Lutz: No Alpha (for now), More Alfalfa


Okay, let me explain this one. No, I didn't ask Bob about alfalfa or any other crops. However, there were lot of questions about ethanol especially given today's announcement about GM's partnership with Coskata. Corn, alfalfa, alpha...get it?

Since we were given precious few moments with Lutz at our group interview, I didn't get a chance to ask anything of Maximum Bob. I don't know when I'll get a chance to talk to Mr. Lutz again, so I chased after Bob's entourage and was allowed to ask one question as long as I "kept walking." My question was about GM's Alpha platform that may spawn various small, RWD vehicles in the 2011-2012 time frame.

For reference, the Alpha platform was discussed in leaked UAW documents and if built would give GM a BMW 3 series sized RWD vehicle. Some folks trace the Alpha's history back to Holden's TT36 Torana concept of 2004, so I grabbed a picture of it and posted it above.

Back to my question. I asked Bob if we would see any concepts in this auto show season that might give us a hint of what an Alpha based car would look like. Bob's answer was quick, to the point: "No, No, much too soon for any speculation on Alpha I'm afraid." Other than (sort of)confirming that Alpha platform is under development/consideration, we already knew that, I didn't get any further information. Sorry.

No comments: