California Autos Examiner

Sunday, February 03, 2008

GMC Denali XT Concept Truck





I've been with GM on almost every one of its production models and concepts that it has introduced lately. The CTS sedan is a knockout and the concept coupe looks to take things even further. Chevy's Malibu is collecting accolades galore and Buick's Enclave has real eye appeal.

I can't say that I'm totally with GM on this Denali XT Concept, however. The proportions of the concept appear odd to me. Now, I haven't seen the vehicle in person and that could potentially make all the difference. However, there is rush of emotion with this "ManBearPig" concept. As with Honda's Ridgeline, I just don't think that any manufacturer has really cracked this nut quite yet.

Being car based means a modest estimated payload capacity of 1,100 pounds and a towing capacity of an estimated 3,500 pounds. Perhaps those capabilities are enough to satisfy customers, but I've always viewed truck stats like condoms: nobody buys "just big enough."

Bigger news, however, is under the hood where GM uses almost every trick in its arsenal: two-mode hybrid transmission, flex fuel capability, direct injection and active fuel management. That's a lot of technology with an estimated 50-percent increase in combined fuel economy over "comparable small pickup trucks when running on gasoline." I'm not quite sure which comparable vehicles their referring to, but I'm going to guess it's the Honda Ridgeline which has a combined average of 17mpg. If a vehicle like this concept could achieve a combined average of 25mpg, that would be something to crow about.

No comments: