California Autos Examiner

Saturday, January 17, 2009

2010 Lexus HS 250h










"The don't want people sitting inside the car, sir." So was my introduction to the new Lexus dedicated hybrid the HS 250h. Could they have gotten more h's in the name? Jeesh.

All kidding aside, the show model was a nice enough guy. For some reason he didn't turn off the the display, so both the car and myself were spinning around like a Ronco Showtime rotisserie oven. To make matters worse, someone did a face plant on a similar rotating stage across the hall and made a loud thump. I didn't want to suffer the same fate, so I toddled along the side of the car like I was either new to my feet or eight drinks into things.

What did I think of the car? Well, I have already complained that by taking away the Prius' hatch and fitting a trunk, you lose a lot of functionality. I also happen to think the HS looks like a gussied up Corolla. The interior is classy, just what you'd expect from a Lexus.

I'm sure that the HS will attract buyers who either don't want to drive a "low-rent" hatch or are more comfortable in a Lexus showroom. Make no mistake, I would not buy this car. However, I think it will sell and its buyers will be very happy with their purchase.

No comments: