California Autos Examiner

Thursday, May 08, 2008

smart fortwo Custom Rims Galore






It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the fortwo. It was a real heart breaker when I had to cancel my reservation. However, I somehow manage to carry on, living vicariously thru the good folks over at smartcarofamerica.com

One of the things I've been most interested in is how owner's are customizing their rides. In today's example, I'm showing you some different wheel treatments for the car. I think they look pretty darn sharp.

Pricing for powder coating, when you add up the coating and mount/dismount of the tires, etc can run between $600 and $1200 depending on where you get it done. Some of the other custom rims can, of course, cost even more. Personally I'm really drawn to the yellow car. It really pops! Word on the street is that yellow will be gone from the color palate in 2009, so if you want to get one then you'd better get on some dealer waiting lists pronto.

Be advised that there have been some issues with the shifter on some 2008 models shipped to the USA. Supposedly some parts were not lubricated correctly and it's causing the mechanism to bind up. Some owners have been unable to place the car in park and get the key out. Also, I'm hearing some stories of the factory alarm system sounding off with no provocation. Some check engine lights have also been plaguing owner's and it's not always a gas cap issue. All in all, most owner's are pleased as punch with their smarts.

Good work!

No comments: