California Autos Examiner

Saturday, June 13, 2009

'Beer Car' doesn't make a lot of sense, but 'Beer Bike' does?


Beer bike photo courtesy of dutchamsterdam.nl

It would never occur to us to drive around down with one hand on the wheel and the other hand on a glass of beer. Okay, maybe it would occur to some folks, but thankfully they are few and far between.

For the Dutch, beer and bikes seem to go together. Sure, sometimes they crash, but in general they are pretty safe. The actual steering is handled by a driver and the beer pouring is covered by a bartender. As a customer, all you have to worry about is guzzling and pedaling.

That hasn't stopped some folks from calling for a ban. Would a beer bike get me out of my car and pedaling about town? A younger me would have said "Absolutely." In fact, a younger me would have already been on a plane to Amsterdam to check it out. Age has a way of tempering such enthusiasm, so my visit to Flickr is probably about as close as I'll get to beer biking anytime soon.

For more info: Check out beerbike.co.uk
Follow the author on twitter or contact via e-mail!

No comments: