California Autos Examiner

Monday, May 19, 2008

Acura TL Galore


Over the weekend about a million, billion spy photos of the 2009 Acura TL poured in. Left Lane News has the best gallery to really get an idea of what will be coming this fall. No really big surprises here. You know that obnoxious shield grille is going to be plastered on the front. From previous dealer meeting leaks, we also are fairly sure that we’ll get two TLs: a ~280hp front driver and a ~300hp AWD machine. A Type-S may come along later, but since the TL line will be bursting with flavor for 2009, Acura probably feels safe in delaying addition models to keep the pot boiling.

Short of sprouting horns and leaking fluid everywhere, I think the TL will continue to sell strongly. Acura buyers like the TL package for the value it offers: reliability, luxury, decent fuel economy and resale. What has held back the TL in some folks’ eyes is the fact that it’s FWD. Now with an AWD offering, this shortcoming will be addressed. You’ll forgive me if I’m not super, duper excited over this one. I like Acura’s but short of the NSX, there has been nothing in an Acura showroom that has ever caused me to apply for an auto loan. I did briefly flirt with the idea of a 2003 CL Type-S 6-speed, but instead I pulled the trigger on a WRX. Given the transmission troubles I had with the WRX and the lack of low-end grunt, sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision. Well, as Barbara Woodhouse used to say, there are no bad cars.

Back to the TL. When can we see the production model? The TSX had NY’s attention and the LA Auto Show would be a little late for a debut. That would leave? I’d wager that we’ll have a press introduction prior to an auto show reveal, but that’s just a guess.

No comments: