California Autos Examiner

Monday, May 26, 2008

Toyota: So, Nissan is Going to Manufacture Some Li-Ion Batteries, eh?


How quaint. We're ramping up to produce a factory that will make nickel-metal hydride batteries in northern Japan, building a lithium ion battery plant that will rise southwest of Tokyo and expanding a current nickel-metal hydride factory in Shizuoka. Neener-Neener!

It was only a few days ago when I had covered Nissan's announcement that it will begin producing Li-Ion batteries in 2009. It appears that Toyota didn't want to seem flat footed and announced its own super-sized battery plans.

Pile on Honda's recent hybrid announcements and it's clear that Japanese manufacturers are making big plans for batteries. What has me concerned for other manufacturers is where they will source their batteries. I have a feeling that once production begins in earnest, those who control their own supply chain are going to be in a much better position to keep their assembly lines humming.

2 comments:

Doug said...

I don't intend to be any kind of a "spoil sport". Even when you disregard any environmental issues (what about propane?) based on the current world demand for oil, and the current capacity, it makes sense to search for alternative fuel sources. However, as with the ethanol, have people really thought out the issues with batteries? Aren't there some serious environmental concerns with them as well? We're talkin' about a lot of batteries here. I'm probably missing something because I don't keep up on these things as much as others, but . . .

Michael Sheena said...

Doug,

I think you and Hank Hill would have a lot to talk about with regards to propane. I kid, I kid.

I'll admit that my knowledge of battery recycling practices could use a brush up. The next time I get a chance, I'll ask around and see what the skinny is.

Like yourself, I have heard of batteries being shipped overseas and then being improperly recycled in countries that do not have strict oversight.

However, I will say that I don't know how many hybrid battery packs have been disposed of yet. From what I've heard, those packs are either meeting or exceeding manufacturer expectations for life expectancy. That only delays the inevitable, however. At some point the packs will have to be processed. Maybe I'll post something on this issue when I have more time. Cheers.