California Autos Examiner

Friday, June 27, 2008

Commuter Car - Tango T600

Commuter Cars

I saw a Tango T600 passing in the opposite direction yesterday and it sparked me into researching the little car. I'd seen the little bugger online but this was the first one I'd seen on the road. On the company's website the T600 is described thusly:

Retail price $108,000. This is the car that has been designed and built to showcase the potential of Commuter Cars' products. It is being sold as a mostly-assembled kit (less than a day to complete) in order to avoid the time and cost of a fully certified vehicle. The Tango T600 has been built around a racecar roll cage designed to protect occupants in 200 mph crashes. It has four times more protective steel in each door than a typical SUV, for example. It also has 4-point racing harnesses giving ease of mobility as well as outstanding security. Its 80-mile range is nearly 4 times the distance the average commuter travels per day. With high-tech batteries, range could exceed 150 miles per charge. To minimize any day-time inconvenience, the Tango can charge to 80% in just 10 minutes from a 200 amp charging station. This gives approximately 50 additional miles of range per quick-charge. Typically one would just plug in each night to a dryer outlet and get a complete charge in less than 3 hours and be ready for work the next morning.

Wowzers, $108,000. That's a lot of coin but it sure will get you noticed! I called the company to find out about their proposed T200 and T100 models which would be priced at $39,900 and $18,700 respectively but there is no set timeline for introduction of those models. Currently ten T600 are in production and the person answering the phone was unsure how many other T600 orders are outstanding. You can visit the above link to find out more about the Tango.

No comments: