California Autos Examiner

Friday, June 27, 2008

Mass Exodus of US Cars?


Environmental Capital - WSJ.com : Oil Shock: Analyst Predicts $7 Gas, "Mass Exodus" of U.S. Cars

"Over the next four years, we are likely to witness the greatest mass exodus of vehicles off America’s highways in history. By 2012, there should be some 10 million fewer vehicles on American roadways than there are today—a decline that dwarfs all previous adjustments including those during the two OPEC oil shocks."

Very incendiary stuff from Jeff Rubin at Canadian brokerage CIBC World Markets. Could this be the case? I'm not convinced as I see the current dilemma stemming more from financial market manipulation. We've seen this before in California with our energy debacle. I can't remember how many newscasters I saw interviewing "experts" claiming that our energy shortage was real and that soon we'd be living with rolling blackouts as a normal part of life. I am seeing the same thing again, people trying to rationally explain a completely irrational market. No sale here. Mass exodus of cars? I don't think so.

No comments: