California Autos Examiner

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pontiac G8 Sport Truck Becomes G8 ST



The return of the "El Camino" is almost upon us with the Pontiac G8 ST arriving in late 2009 as a 2010 model. The name El Camino was actually considered, but GM elected not to raid Chevrolet's closet and went with G8 ST. I'd wager that we'll soon see El Camino re-badge kits available from the aftermarket.

I would have been inclined to give Chevrolet the vehicle in the first place. The truck doesn't fit Pontiac's image (at least in my mind) except for the fact that it's RWD and has a V8. Given the drastic difference in body style between the sedan and the sport truck, I don't see how folks could have complained about badge engineering. If anything, I would have given the truck to Chevy, the sedan to Pontiac and created a Buick Electra wagon complete with a "vista style" panoramic roof.

Well, reality is what it is. You can check out the full press release by clicking here.

No comments: